About The Scholarship
Raising a child shouldn’t keep young mothers from achieving their academic goals.
The Vivian Winston Scholarship awards funds, historically ranging from $1,500-$4,000, to assist mothers attending Eastern Washington University, Gonzaga University, Washington State University: Spokane, Whitworth University, or the Community Colleges of Spokane with tuition and child care. The scholarship is named in honor of one of Women Helping Women Fund’s founders who worked through her life to remove barriers for women and children.
How To Apply
- Applications open in January 2020
- Applications will be due March 2020
- Finalists will be contacted and asked to participate in an interview
- Scholarship winners will be announced by April 2020
- Scholarships will be distributed by June 30, 2020 for the 2020-21 academic year
- Be a continuing or incoming full-time female student at Eastern Washington University, Gonzaga University, Washington State University: Spokane, Whitworth University, Spokane Community College, and Spokane Falls Community College pursuing an Associate Degree, Bachelors Degree, or special certification.
- A resident of Spokane County while attending school.
- Have dependent children requiring child care during the scholarship year
- Available to attend, as a guest, the 28th Annual Benefit Luncheon on May 19, 2020 and provide a short biography and photo for the luncheon program.
- A typical scholarship ranges between $1,500 and $4,000
- Scholarship recipients may apply over multiple years and may receive consecutive awards.
- Scholarship recipients may be asked to provide their most recent tax statement before distribution.
- Scholarships will be distributed from the Vivian Winston Fund directly to Eastern Washington University, Gonzaga University, Washington State University: Spokane, Whitworth University, and the Community Colleges of Spokane by June 30, 2019.
- Scholarship funds designated to childcare can only be applied to licensed on-campus facilities in a one time payment.
- Scholarship recipients are requested to provide the Women Helping Women Fund office with their preferred distribution of funds at their school. IE- 80% tuition, 20% childcare.
- Letters of recommendation should be submitted online, please ask references to submit here.